Tuesday 10 July 2012

Rimmel cream gel, Revlon whipped creme... it all sounds like desert to me!

UPDATE: Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup is now available in Australia and retails for $34.95

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup has come out in the US recently, but knowing how long things take to get to Australia, I'm thinking we might have a while to wait. So me being ever impatient and reading glowing reviews about this foundation and thinking "oh yes that sounds amazing for me" after reading each one, I just ordered the damn thing on eBay. I know that Buff is a pretty good colour match for me in the Revlon Colorstay Normal/Dry so I crossed my fingers and ordered. Thankfully the colour match is near perfect. Lucky for everyone, I couldn't help making comparisons to Rimmel's Match Perfection Cream Gel foundation. This is great news because it's available in Australia and retails for a very reasonable $17.95.

Here's my comparison:
L-R: Rimmel Match Perfection Cream Gel Foundation in 100 (Ivory), Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup in 150 (Buff)

Both of the foundations come in glass tubs. I hate this kind of packaging. I'm definitely a squeezy tube or pump kind of gal. OK so once we've come to grips with the breakable, messy, unhygienic and annoying to travel with glass packing, I can't help to notice the difference in size between the two. For reference, the Rimmel foundation is 18mL and the Revlon is 23.7mL. Soooo there is 25% more foundation from Revlon, but the tub is at least twice as big! It is huge. I don't know if I could ever justify putting it in my makeup bag for travel, it's about the same size as a Clinique moisturiser jar.


Annoying little plastic lids you have to take off and try not to put them on your counter foundation side down. The Revlon one fell and landed vegemite side down on bathroom floor yesterday.


Revlon describes the texture of their foundation as "whipped". I like Rimmel's "cream gel" description more as it makes more sense to me. The textures are almost identical. They're gel-like, creamy ("cream gel"), siliconey foundations that definitely sit somewhere between a liquid and a cream foundation. I find Rimmel's is notably smoother whereas Revlon's is thicker. This is evident when you use them and explains why Revlon just beats out Rimmel on the coverage stakes, whereas Rimmel's finish is more natural.

L-R: Rimmel and Revlon

Blended out, L-R: Rimmel and Revlon

For me, Rimmel loses out the most in colour choice. There's only a handful of shades so it might be hard to find your perfect match. As you can see from the swatches above, Rimmel's "Ivory" is much darker and peachier than the Revlon Colorstay. It's not as much of an issue when it's blended out, but if I layer Rimmel to increase coverage it's definitely too dark. On the topic of coverage both are are medium to medium/full coverage. They cover minor redness but acne and scarring does show through. They also both have a similar soft matte finish, which is my favorite kind of finish and feel lightweight on the skin. If you have oily skin you will definitely want to use a mattifying powder with both these foundations. To get a day's wear out of either of these foundations I need to use some form of powder on my combo skin - for most days MAC MSF Natural is great.

Unsurprisingly, Revlon Colorstay wins out in the long-lasting stakes. Both get through a full working day no worries with small amount of fading, but the Rimmel foundation can get slightly patchy around my oily T-zone if I do a lot of running around and I'm not sure how well it will hold up in the summer. Because of this I think the Rimmel one works well for dry through to combination skin, whereas I see Revlon working for all skin types. I read reviews where people noted the Revlon foundation clinging to dry patches, but I haven't found this. On me, neither foundation accentuates dry patches and even seems to smooth them out. No breakouts from either of these foundations - thumbs up.

So all in all I like both foundations. When I'm after more natural coverage that makes my skin feel outta this world smooth I like Rimmel's Match Perfection Cream Gel Foundation - if the colour match was better I think this might be a clear winner for me. For heavier coverage or if I'm after a 7am-10pm (workday to dinner) kind of wear I'll use the Revlon.

Have you tried either of these foundations? And what are your favorite neutral foundations if you have fair skin?

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a comparison from the revlon liquid foundation to the new whipped :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so unsure of colours with this but I just finished my Rimmel in the same shade as yours, so I'm looking forward to getting the revlon whipped now! It's on sale at priceline for $24 so I'm going to give it a crack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go a shade up from Buff in the Revlon if the Rimmel matched you well :)

      Delete
  3. using wooden wall decors at home is a great alternative to using those expensive metal wall decors,, Nang delivery sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. dancing is my passion and and i enjoy being enrolled in a dance class to improve my skills** how to setup a virtual private network

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...